Rabu, 01 Juni 2011

WHAT DOESN'T KILL US MAKES US BITTER

The title of this post is a sentence I read from the note of Chuck Lorre at the end of one of my favorite TV series The Big Bang Theory. Chuck Lorre, who is the executive producer of this successful comedy always gives his note at the end of every episode. The notes are about anything that happened to cross his mind by the time he wrote them. This time, that thing is about pain and how it affects us. You see that usually people say that what doesn't kill you makes us better, or in the words of Friedrich Nietzsche, "That which does not kill us makes us stronger." So instead of putting the word "stronger" or "better" at the end f the sentence that I made into the title of this post, Chuck Lorre decides to put the word "bitter." He said in the note that he used to be believe it in order to be both funny and true.


The sentence, which I think is pretty witty, struck my mind. One of my closest friends always say to me that pain is good because it makes you stronger. He is obviously a huge fan of Nietzsche's. But it seemed that I could not connect with the meaning behind the sentence. I know what it means, but I always feel that there is something wrong about it. When I found the word "bitter" at the end of the sentence, I found myself smiling spontaneously and I believe that some sort of an agreement was the reason behind it.


That's it!
What doesn't kill us makes us bitter!

Now I can feel it. I'm finally connected to the sentence like I've never been. The pain I feel makes me bitter. I used to be the kind of person who thinks about things as positive. I see good things in people and in everything. But it turned out that life is not just about a sunny side up. There's rain and storms as well. Being hurt, disappointed, and even betrayed has turned me into a bitter person that almost doesn't believe in sincerity. It may sound a little scary, but that's the truth. Well, I am not entirely bitter,though. I still have those little flakes of positivity and a slight of a happy-go-lucky spirit inside me. I know I won't turn into a full-time bitter person 'cause I always believe that everyone is a part-time angel and a part-time evil. 












2 komentar:

  1. I like the AHA moment you discovered and revealed the concluding paragraph. Should I congratulate you for this? ;D

    BalasHapus
  2. Thank you for stopping by to join my morning at The Morning Artist Blog. This post made me ponder deeply about few things. I like what your friend said 'pain is good because it makes you stronger'. I had my share of those 'pains' and I definitely came out stronger.

    BalasHapus